Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Is George Bailey a Member of the Self-Responsible Performer Club?

Each holiday season I seem to catch the holiday classic, “It’s A Wonderful Life”, and this past weekend I watched it again. It is one of the few holiday classics that I enjoy watching during the season along with the “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”, “A Christmas Carol”, and “A Christmas Story”. I realize that “It’s A Wonderful Life” is a little corny but there are several messages that resonate with me, and getting to see this classic movie each year reminds me of those important messages.

When watching it this past weekend I saw a scene that stuck out to me this year more than it has in the past. Near the latter part of the movie George Bailey has realized how much trouble he is in with the loss of $8,000 by his uncle Billy. George and Billy search everywhere for the envelope of cash, but were not able to find the cash. In desperation, George goes to Potter’s office and asks Potter for help. George tells Potter that he has misplaced $8,000. Potter questions George to clarify what he heard, “You lost the money?” knowing full well that it was Billy who lost the money. George responses back to Potter with a yes and a nod of his head. And there it is: George takes full responsibility for the actions of his employees. That is George Bailey, who we have grown to love - Mr. Responsible.

A week earlier, I conducted an interview skills workshop for a group of hiring managers at a Hi-Tech company. I took the group through an exercise about hiring self-motivated, self-responsible employees. The exercise always seems to hit home with hiring managers because they realize that their top performers are self-motivated, self-responsible employees. The employees are goal oriented, accountable for their results, and take 100% responsibility for their actions. They always learn from their mistakes and grow from them. The exercise helps managers focus their interview questions on the candidates’ motivations and accountability.

If hiring managers are looking for self-motivated, self-responsible employees, you, as job seeker, might be asking yourself if I am one of those performers. Here is a set of questions to assess yourself.

On a scale of 1 (disagree) to 9 (agree), rate yourself on each question:
  1. I take full responsibility for all my on-the-job performance.

  2. I feel that I have a fair share in the successes and failures of my company. As such, I feel vested in helping my company to succeed.

  3. I understand that my actions are a direct result of my thoughts and behaviors I choose.

  4. I set my own clear objectives. I monitor my progress, assess my outcomes and design feedback loops into my work.

  5. I admit to my mistakes and shortcomings and strive to learn from them so not to repeat them again the future.

  6. I regularly examine my strengths, weaknesses and limitations and seek continuous feedback.

  7. I believe that I am, at bottom line, my own boss.

  8. I aim to be a high performer for my company, but never at the expense of others.

  9. I use my words and actions to provide a positive influence on others.

  10. I am ultimately responsible for everything that is going on in my own head. I don’t blame other persons, places, or things for the thoughts I chooses to use.

Add up the number you have marked down for each question. The following categories will give you an idea how you compare with individuals that are self-motivated, self-responsible performers.

  • 70 – 90: You are a full member of the Self-Motivated, Self-Responsible Performers Club (Look out George Bailey)

  • 40 – 69: You are moving towards Self-Motivated, Self-Responsible Performer Club

  • 39 or less: You have a long way to go to the Self-Motivated, Self-Responsible Performer Club membership

2 comments:

  1. Before my days of Male Domestic Parental Engineer I tried to follow this simple motto: Give credit. Take blame. In any organization people get credit for the hard work and accomplishments but many times that can't happen without the hard work of many people who aren't the point of the project. They deserve recognition always. Conversely when things go wrong and people are looking for someone to blame rather then find a solution, step forward and take the bullet. You diffuse the person on the spot and now can move onto finding the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Looking for solutions first is always a more productive approach rather than trying to find fault. Taking responsibility defuses the situation and enables things to move to the solution seeking stage.

    ReplyDelete