Sunday, May 31, 2009

Job Search Silver Bullets

We have all heard and likely used the term silver bullet. I have always related the silver bullet term to the old Lon Chaney Jr. werewolf movies. You know the situation where they had to use the special bullets to bring down the werewolf. We refer to silver bullets in business when we have an important situation and the circumstances require us to use special actions to address it. In the job search process, job seekers may come across a few silver bullets as well. Job search silver bullets are some networking connections that become advocates for you and can lead you to connections and jobs that you might not otherwise have had accessed. Some silver bullet connections may be individuals you already know or some other individuals that you meet while out networking.

I have met a few of these people over the years and they have opened doors for me that I likely wouldn’t have opened otherwise. What is amazing to me about this is that sometimes they are strangers to me before the introduction but for one reason or other the relationship grows and they become an advocate for me. I remain close to these individuals and consider them good friends. I know other job seekers who have experienced similar relationships.

One such advocate, a strategic leadership consultant, led me to my prior job as VP of HR. I didn’t know this individual before being introduced to him six years ago and I didn’t really realize how well connected he was. Even today I am still encountering the depth of this individual’s connections. I was fortunate to get to work with him at my last company and we were able see each other’s styles, methods and strengths in the workplace. We stay in regular touch and I keep him updated on what is happening with my current exploration. I have sought his advice and he has continued to connect me to others. He was and still is one of my silver bullets.

Another individual that I got to know through my prior company has become a silver bullet as well. He connected me to the CFO of a company that was looking for a VP of HR. The job was never posted anywhere. Although I didn’t get the job after going all the way to the end of the selection process, I would have never heard of the job if it hadn’t been for him. Another time he called the CEO of one of his clients to get my resume pulled past the piles of other resumes that had come through the posting. He also introduced me to another connection that led me to winning a consulting project.

Recently I met a new connection for lunch, a fellow HR professional high up in the HR food chain of a local company. He has been helping others in the job search process and I thought it would be good to meet to compare notes. After the lunch was over, I began to reflect on the conversation. I realized that he had given out some cues that I missed during the conversation. He was giving me prompts and openings to share key elements of my professional background and I missed them. Darn, a missed opportunity. I thought more about the conversation and how I missed those cues. I realized I hadn’t prepared for the meeting as I normally would. I didn’t do my homework before the meeting. He was introduced to me through a friend and I treated it more as a casual meeting than an opportunity. During our meeting I learned that he is well connected and someone that could open doors, possibly high up doors. Maybe he could have even become a silver bullet for me. We agreed to stay connected but I felt I left him with a first impression that may not have been as strong as it could have been had I prepared.

The lesson I learned in the meeting was that you never know when you might meet someone that may become an advocate for you. Prepare for each new network connection as if you are meeting your next silver bullet.

No comments:

Post a Comment