Sunday, May 17, 2009

Working the Network Event

I attended a professional evening network event for a trade association this past week. You know the kind where there are drinks, appetizers, and 100 people crammed into a backroom somewhere. I have to admit I am a bit out of my element at these types of functions especially when it has been a while since I have attended one.

Those of you that know me well know that I am a bit more reserved and normally on the quiet side. I am in awe of those that do these events well and make it look easy. That is not me. I have to work hard at it. I psych myself up for these settings and prepare to do some schmoozing. Just like when I play sports, I take a deep breath before stepping on to the playing field.

This event happened to be on the mezzanine level of the Bridgeport Brewery. As I entered the room I immediately saw an HR acquaintance that I hadn’t seen in a few months. Bingo, a friendly face to start the evening. As got into the conversation, I had to remind myself of a few key principles for these networking events.

#1 – Remember the end goal: You are there to make quality connections with as many new people as possible and reconnect with acquaintances that you see infrequently. It is a networking event. Not a social time between you and just one other person.

#2 –Get a lay of the land: Check out the flow of the room. Where are the drinks and food? Look and see where people are clustered. Do you recognize anyone? Are people mostly sitting or standing?

#3 – Don’t get caught up with just one person: Getting stalled with one person can be easy to do. It can be with someone you know or even someone you just met. Sometimes it is comfortable to hang around that one person but you need to remember the #1 end goal. Keep moving to meet new people.

#4 – Look to exchange business cards: Have your cards handy and easy to give out. One time I ran out of cards because I didn’t grab a new supply before heading out for an event. You have a few minutes with one or two people and you want to leave that conversation with the ability to follow up later. If you don’t offer your card and ask for theirs, you won’t be able to reconnect with them later.

#5 - Keep one hand free at all times: If you have a drink in one hand and a plate of appetizers in the other it is hard to shake someone else’s hand or exchange business cards. I remember spilling my plate or drink more than once trying to free my hand to greet someone. Keeping one hand free also takes care of the issue of feeding your face and getting crumbs or more all over your face or clothes.

#6 – Look like you are approachable: Are you smiling? Do you have arms folded? Are you standing back away from the groups? Your body posture, position in the room and whether you are smiling can make a significant difference on whether other people will approach you.

#7 - Follow up with the connections you made: Don’t waste what you have just gained. Be sure to follow up in the next day or two after the event and try to meet them one-on-one.

The Bridgeport Brewery event wrapped up and I took a deep breath as I exited the room. I made it through and was still charged up on adrenalin when I got home. My mouth was still in networking mode and my wife got more of an earful than normal. She just smiled and listened knowing that I am still burning down the nervous energy. I made some good connections at the event and I already have set up meetings this coming week with them.

I admit that I frequently read articles on how to work the room to become more skilled and comfortable doing it. I would like to hear from others that have some good tips. What do you do that works for you when you attend one of these events?

No comments:

Post a Comment